December 25, 2006

Learn, Michael-san

Mike and Charise awoke with a start to a loud gong. Rachael looked up from the book she was reading and smiled. "Oh, good! You guys are awake. I've been so bored. Anyways, if you haven’t guessed by now, the gong means it's time to get up and start training."
She handed them their robes and they put them on while she continued.
"Zeke's also still in his coma, so he won't be joining us for breakfast."
"When did they think he'd get better?"
"Sometime this afternoon, I think. I can't remember."
"Who cares? He wakes up when he wakes up. Let's go eat."
They met the sensei outside of the mess hall after breakfast. He gave them a friendly smile.
"Good morning pupils."
"Good morning sensei." The three chorused.
"Charise, please follow this young man here. He will show you to all of your martial arts classes. Rachael and Mike, you will work with me until we figure out better means for you."
The trio separated and Mike and Rachael followed the sensei to his office where he motioned for them to sit. He looked at Rachael.
"Now, Rachael, would you please describe for me the exact nature of your abilities?"
"Well, I'm a metamorph. I can alter most physiological functions of my body, and I can change how I look and heal wounds. I can't spontaneously gain or loose mass, though."
"Very interesting. What do you have to do to metamorph? How do you control it?"
"Well, I think about what I want to happen, and it happens. I can feel it happening. I can feel when things are wrong and what's going on inside me. I can also morph viruses and bacteria so I can't get sick. I can change other people, too, but not as much as myself, and only if they are willing. I think people's minds provide some sort of protection for that, or something."
"Can you change animals and plants, too?"
"Plants? Oh, no, we leave the plants up to Mike. I couldn't even if I wanted to. And I'm not sure about animals; I've never tried."
"Thank you. And Michael?"
"I can control the growth of plants in what part and which direction. I can also disintegrate plant substance. I picture what I want to happen and then I move my hands. I feel a sort of energy flow from inside of me. I don't really know why I use my hands, but it seems to help sometimes."
The sensei looked thoughtful. "Rachael, do movements help you at all?"
"No, it's all thought."
"Michael, do actions or thoughts help you more?"
"Concentrating helps a little, but if I happen to move right, it helps way more."
"I see. Thank you, this has helped. Rachael, would you be alright with learning a meditation skill form Buddhism?"
"Of course."
"Good, I think that will help you immensely. I will help train you for that. And as for you, Michael, I think it would be most helpful for you to learn Tai Chi. I'll send for a runner, just wait outside."
Mike left, casting a glance to Rachael as he did. The sensei went to his desk as he instructed her.
"Sit on the floor, please, and get comfortable."
He lit some incense and then sat down next to her.
"Breathe in and relax as you exhale…"

~~~~

Zeke groaned and opened his eyes, then quickly shut them as they were assaulted by the light. He rolled over and pulled the pillow over his head. He heard a voice not long after.
"Oh, good, you're awake. I'll send for your friends."
"What time is it?"
"Around five."
"And I've been in comatose for a day?"
"Actually less. With that much exertion, I thought you'd be out until five tomorrow."
"So I've only been out for 8 hours?"
"Yes. Sensei will be surprised." And with that, the student ran out.
Zeke grabbed a glass of water from the bed-side table and downed it. His head hurt, but he was glad that the coma had not lasted long. He had seen others who had been in one for two or three days. Sometimes more; and many of them for doing much less alchemy then he had done. He lay back down and thought back to what had happened. He and the sensei had been very evenly matched. Their dinuclecium tracing had been very much alike, and he was proud that he had found a good way to do it. They had also been about as strong. They had not been able to for five whole minutes. Small lapses in focus had resulted in little more than ripples across the plate. It was what the sensei had done next that completely stumped him. He had straightened up and relaxed completely, with no muscle tension or nerve impulses to end energy to the di on his skin. How he had amassed such a force, Zeke didn't know how to answer.
Zeke pondered this and gently fell into slumber.
-dream-
"Zeke!"
A voice called him from his dream, and he opened his eyes to fins Rachael kneeling on the bed, face over his. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Mike and Charise at the foot at his bed. Rachael grabbed Zeke's shoulder and pulled him up, forcing him to look directly into her eyes.
"What is up with you and these stupid nightmares?!"
"Well, I'm sorry, it's not like I can do anything about them!"
With a huff, she let go of him, letting him fall back down on his back. She retreated to the end of the bed when the sensei walked in.
"Congratulations, Zeke! You passed the test."
"Test?"
"Yes. You have shown exceptional skill in developing your talents on your own. You also seem to have a fast recovery rate, like me. I believe you are ready to start iron training."
"Iron… and gravity?"
"Yes. But first, I need to ask you some questions. When you using mercury, did you ever manipulate gravity?"
"Yeah… once, I think."
Charise interrupted. "He pushed two trucks off a bridge to save me!"
The sensei paused and frowned slightly, then continued. "Thank you. Did you sustain this force?"
"No, it was just a pulse, not sustained. It made me incredibly tired afterwards, though."
"I see. Have you tried lifting anything with dinuclecium?"
"Not very much. The last time I can think of is when Mike was injured and I made a stretcher out of di. I couldn't lift it by myself, but I think I got close."
"Thank you, Zeke. You all have the rest off the day off. That is, of course, you otherwise wish to join Miss Koji for the open karate class and sparing."
The three standing bowed, and Zeke motioned with his head. The sensei returned the bow and left.

~~~~

The grounds were beautiful as the sky shifted to orange, then sun dipping toward the horizon. Zeke had joined in for the lesson, but was sitting out for the sparing. Mike and Rachael were off to one side, practicing moves while Charise was out in the open of the courtyard, circling Miss Koji.
-battle!-
Miss Koji removed her foot and offered Charise a hand. She took it and Koji began to laugh, as if they had been friends forever.
"Charise, you are one of the quickest student's I've ever had. That power of yours is very special, you've remembered everything I've even told or shown you. Your reflexes are very impressive, too."
"It's kind of annoying, I knew you were coming, but I also knew that I couldn't move fast enough."
"Don't worry. Like anything else, the more you practice, the better you become. The more you train in… what did you call it?"
"Hyper mind."
"The more you fight in hyper mind, the faster your body will become."
The two bowed and Charise went to talk with Mike and Rachael. Miss Koji approached Zeke.
"I'm sorry if I came across a little condescending earlier. I had no idea you had progressed so far."
"I hadn't either. I had no way to gauge my progress with other people."
"So now you are to start gravity work?"
"Yes."
"Congratulations, it is a real honor to be picked for iron training. You and your friends are very special. You four are very lucky to know each other." She produced a card from her robes. "Here. If you and your friends ever get into too much trouble, just know that you can call me and I'll find some way to help. I'm glad that Michael made it out of that situation of his."
"What are you talking about?"
"Sorry. I meant when he had gotten shot."
"How did you know about that?"
"Those of us that are more advanced enough in alchemy have… visions. Sometimes when I look at people, I can see things that have happened to them recently. The sensei can sometimes feel when people are going to be in a particular location in the future. For instance, he said that the four of you will be returning within the year."
Zeke bowed. "Thank you. I'm looking forward to your classes tomorrow."
"Yes. I am particularly interested to see if your martial arts skills are as good as your alchemy."
She returned the bow and then went over to an electrical box and turned off the lights. In the fading orange light of the hot bulbs, the four walked off towards their room.
"Zeke, how are you doing?"
"I'm still a bit tired, bit not as much as I expected to be. How was your day?"
"Quite interesting, actually. The sensei worked with me on Buddhist meditation techniques. I can already tell that it's helping."
"I never thought I'd learn so much in a day. This gene thing is really awesome to work with, too."
"Well MY day was really boring. All I did was work on breathing and moving slowly in funny motions!"
The other three turned to stare at Mike.
"What? So I didn't find today's training that helpful." He said, looking another way.
"Well, if you could just figure out how you do what you do, then we could help." Zeke offered.
"Well if there was a way to find out, I think I would have by now." Mike retorted.
"Boys, please! I understand that you have a disadvantage because you're missing part of your second X chromosome, but do try to get along." Rachael joked.
Charise tried to stifle a giggle as the boys stepped in front of Rachael, cutting her off and turning angrily to face her.
"What? A Y chromosome is an X chromosome that's missing a leg."
"I don’t believe you." Mike challenged.
Rachael stopped and closed her eyes. Her hair grew short and her face squared off. Her jaw and brow thickened and became more pronounced. Her shoulders broadened and her body lost its feminine curves. Her hands enlarged and filled out as dark brown hair sprouted from her exposed forearms. When she spoke, her voice was much deeper and quite gravelly until she got used to it.
"See Mike? I just disabled the part of my second X that isn't on the Y. I'll admit that I shortened my hair on purpose, but that was so you would see what I'm talking about, and not that I'd look like some hippie."
Mike’s jaw dropped open, and Zeke and Charise could no longer contain their laughter. Mike flushed and turned away, slightly disturbed.
"OK, Rachael, you win. You're right. Now please turn back, it's creepy."
She sensed a strong feeling of disturbance in his voice, and she quietly shifted back to her normal form. She smiled mischievously to the other two and then veered off with Charise towards the girl's bath. Zeke and Mike veered off towards the boy's. Zeke overheard Rachael whisper to Charise, "Why is it that guys are so stubborn? I love proving them wrong!"
Zeke turned to the silhouette that was his best friend. "What, Mike, couldn't handle your girlfriend turning into a guy?"
Mike blushed a hot red, his ears burning. Luckily, in the darkness, Zeke did not see. Mike punched Zeke in the arm, none too gently.
"She's not my girlfriend. It's just that I've known her since I was like, 3, and that was kinda too weird."
"OK, sure. And even though it's too dark to see, I'll bet you blushed." Zeke only received another punch for his comment.
Zeke pushed the bath house door open and led Mike in. He grabbed two towels and some soap. He led Mike though another door into a very warm room. It was mostly filled by a large stove-bath pool. Zeke pulled off his shirt, but Mike stopped him from progressing.
"Wait, we're both supposed to strip and take a bath in that pool together? Don't they have any showers here?"
"Uh, no, Mike. They don't have showers. But if it makes you feel better, I'll go all the way over to the other side and face the wall."
"OK, thanks Zeke."
Zeke proceeded to strip completely and eased into the hot water when he was finished. Once he was acclimated he swam over to the other side.
"You know, Mike, you are the most bashful guy I know."
"Oh, come on, Zeke! Like any other guy back home would just go bathe with another guy. Plus, there's a reason they don't have community showers at school anymore."
"Yeah, that's because so many people are openly gay these days."
"Ok, fine. But this is just in violation of moral laws!"
"Moral laws from back home, yes. But this is here. This is part of their culture. Actually, community baths were also ubiquitous in Greece and the Roman Empire. It was a social event; a time to relax and talk to other people."
Mike mumbled something that Zeke couldn’t make out. After that, neither spoke until Mike was finished. He jumped out and quickly dried off.
"I'm going to bed now, Zeke."
"Alright. I think I'll stay a little longer and soak."
After Mike left, the room was completely silent, apart from the gentle lap of water stirred up by Zeke's breathing. Zeke closed his eyes and allowed himself to enjoy that simplicity of being in a place where he was loved and cared about.

~~~~

Zeke had gone to bed not long after his bliss in his bath, but he awoke in his bed later that night. Not because he had the nightmare again, but because he had heard a small sound. He sat up softly and listened. He soon realized that it was Rachael, humming softly on the other side of the room divider. He crept to the edge of the divider as her soft tune evolved into words.
"Shadows in the endless night
Shadows that appear in my disappearing dreams
Shadows in the endless night
Can't escape the wrath of darkness 'round
Flightless dreams, unspoken things
Only to feel the truth again
The pain inside, unending joy
Reflect my life unendingly
I thought my time had finally come
But I know my journey's just begun
And now I see that shadows obscure my thoughts and view
And only for a moment
My eyes revert to you
I thought I might have had my chance
But now I must sadly let it pass
Through clouded sight and thought I know
That shadows rule my every move
Shadows in the endless night
Can't escape reality
But only for a moment
And only for a while
My life reflects before my eyes
In shadows of you and I...
I thought the shadows would let me through
To memories of me and you..."

As Zeke listened, the more he began to realize what it was about, and how lonely she must be. He noted that it sounded like she was holding back tears, and that she must be very sad with nothing to do other than ponder her own thoughts every night. Zeke knew that her parents were always away anyways, traveling on business for their work and whatnot, and they rarely saw her. And, like now, she was awake and alone at night when the rest of the world around her slept. No way to join the rest of them and experience the thing they called sleep, or to know what it was to see a dream. Zeke crept back to his bed, but lay poised to crawl back to the divider. After a few minutes, however, and he had slipped back into the silence of his dreams.

~~~~

Rachael looked at her three friends the next morning as the shoveled food into their mouths.
"You should eat more," Zeke said, mouth full.
"I don't need as much. I'm not growing hair or fingernails, and I'm not replacing skin that doesn't need to be replaced. Besides, while you three are doing alchemy or Tai-che or hyper mind stuff, I'm just meditating. Not even metamorphing yet. I'll be fine. I know my body way better than you know yours."
"Whatever you say, Rae."
"Hey, that rhymes!"
"Yeah, I know. I planned it that way."
"...oh."
After breakfast, the four friends had sword training. All the students held short wooden poles as their sword, but a thin old man pace in front of them. He stopped and squared off the group, which consisted of about 15 students. He began to speak very quietly, causing everyone to remain silent in order for them to hear him. He would explain a move or series of them, and then a student would demonstrate. Charise looked excited, but Mike and Rachael looked rather bored. Rachael less so only because she knew the alternative was much worse. She'd rather sit and listen about it rather than have nothing to do. At least now she would have something to preoccupy some of her night. Mike was drawn to a complete blank. Zeke smiled as he noticed the two. He knew the teacher's style, and he knew the teacher would have already noticed them by now.
When the teacher was about finished, he called Mike up to the front.
"You seemed bored today. Was the work we did today too easy?"
"What work? All you did was explain how to do things."
"Fine. Would you please demonstrate for the class every move I have talked about today."
Mike was dumbfounded. "But you didn't have us try it!"
"Not yet."
"But how am I supposed to remember everything?"
"You listen."
Charise stepped forward. "I could do it, sir."
The teacher smiled. "Well, thank you, but that would hardly do you any credit, what with that gift of yours."
Charise smiled and went back to her place.
"Who else can demonstrate the moves?" the teacher asked.
Several students, including Zeke and a halfhearted attempt by Rachael, raised their hands.
"These people," the teacher motioned to them, "fully understand that knowledge is the best weapon. What good is it for me to have you do something without knowing why? I introduced you to these moves in the order I did because many counter to previous ones." The teacher sent Mike back to his place. "Now find a partner and run through the moves. Once you can do them all, have one do one, then the other do the next and so on. Once you see how they interact, get creative and mix them up a bit."
Zeke turned to Charise. She smiled dangerously. He did too, though he knew that defeat was near.
Zeke held his own, for a while. In a few minutes, Charise had fallen into a rhythm and took a defensive stance. Zeke knew that in a few moves she could defeat him, yet she did not take up offensive.
She’s just toying with me! OK, maybe she just wants me to practice.
This continued on for a while, but then she turned to offensive, but held back.
By the time the two of them were finished, they were both exhausted.
"Thank you for not killing me." Zeke panted.
"It wouldn’t be very productive for you if I had, huh?"
The teacher released them for lunch, and the sensei found Zeke before they had made it very far. "Zeke, I hope you are doing well today. Would you like to start iron training today?"
"Maybe a little, but I would like to hone my combat skills first."
"Alright. Come see me later when you are ready."

~~~~

Later, Mike and Rachael were in the gardens with the sensei. Rachael was sitting and meditating while Mike and the sensei moved fluidly through the motions of Tai Chi.
"I don't mean to complain, sensei," Mike began. "But I don't see the point of this."
"You have seen 'The Karate Kid' back in America, haven’t you?"
"Yes…"
"I teach, you learn. The answer to why comes later."
Mike scowled, but continued to follow his motions. Rachael smiled and opened an eye long enough for her to catch his expression.
"Rachael, I know you didn't open your eyes just now."
She quickly shut it. "No, sensei." Only one of them! She thought.
Mike turned his head just enough to catch her expression and smiled.

No comments: